I love trying new recipes. When you are working it can be very easy to get into a routine and find you are cooking the same meals time and again. When you come home tired it is understandable, it is easy to make something you are familiar with. I like to experiment at the weekends and try different dishes. Once I have tried making them once I know if I like them. I can then make them though the week a few weeks later to keep mealtime varied.
Recently Sunrise Senior Living challenged me to try one of their recipes. They make sure all the recipes are nutritious and tasty so they are good for everyone, not just the elderly. They have a wide range of recipes on their website, from Baileys cheesecake to bream with salsa and fish and chips. I had a look and chose to make Smoked Paprika and Red Onion Chicken.
I am a big fan of paprika in dishes, it adds a lovely smoky flavour. One of my favourite dishes is Mexican chilli beef that uses paprika with a splash of lime juice and some fresh chillis for a tasty dinner. For a really low calorie meal chorizo and butter bean stew is both tasty and filling, as well as being easy to make. The smoked paprika and red onion chicken combines the smoky taste of paprika with red onions and sage. This gave me a great opportunity to use some of the fresh sage that is growing in my garden. The bush is trying to take over the flowerbed, not leaving room for my other plants.
The chicken is served with a gravy made with red wine and stock, simmered gently reduce it. The dish is then cooked in the oven to impart the flavour to the dish. Whilst it does take a little time to get the dish ready to go into the oven, the result is worth it. The smoked paprika and red onion chicken is a flavour filled dish.
I chose to serve my chicken with potato salad and a tomato salsa as it was a warm afternoon. This worked well, it complemented the flavours in the dish. For a more filling dinner you could served the smoked paprika and red onion chicken with mashed potatoes and peas. Rice would also work well.
- 10ml sunflower oil
- 1 red onion
- 10g fresh sage
- 50ml red wine
- 340ml beef stock
- 17g gravy granules
- Pinch salt and ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts
- 200ml olive oil
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan160C Gas Mark 4
- Peel and chop the red onion.
- Heat the sunflower oil and sauté half the onions until they are golden brown.
- Add the wine and simmer until it reduces by half
- Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the gravy granules to thicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a separate pan heat the olive oil.
- Add the chicken breasts and seal them. Turn until cooked evenly then place in an oven proof dish.
- Add the remaining onions and the paprika to the pan and sauté until soft.
- Add the onions on top of the chicken and then pour over the gravy.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.