One of the blogger cooking challenges I love to join in with is Random Recipes over at Belleau Kitchen. It is a chance to discover new recipes, old cookery books and extend your cooking skill trying to make things you have never tried before. This month random recipes has joined forces with We Should Cocoa over at Chocolate Log Blog. The theme, a random recipe using chocolate. This sounded like my sort of challenge.
First the book. I randomly chose a book off my shelves and found I was holding The Pooh Cook Book with recipes by Katie Stewart and inspired by Winnie the Pooh.
Who doesn’t like Winnie the Pooh? This is a book from my childhood, a Christmas gift and one I still enjoy reading for the gorgeous Winnie the Pooh drawings and the apt quotes. The recipe I chose randomly was for Chocolate Rock Cakes, from a chapter entitled “Provisions for Picnics and Expotitions”. The quote before the recipe sums it up perfectly.
“I think”, said Christopher Robin, “that we ought to eat all our provisions now, so that we shan’t have so much to carry.” “Eat all our what?” said Pooh. “All that we’ve brought” said Piglet, getting to work.
Rock cakes are a recipe that take me back to Domestic Science or Home Economics lessons at school. The name of the lesson kept changing but it was basically cooking or sewing. Rock cakes were one of the recipes we learnt to make, easy to make and cook in an hour. They are also easy to transport home in a plastic tub to be admired by your parents. There is something restful about rubbing in butter to flour and the addition of the chocolate makes a nice surprise when eating them. >
- 8 oz self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 3 oz butter
- 4 oz plain chocolate
- 3 oz castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- few drops vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 C, 350 F, Gas Mark 4
- Grease a baking tray.
- Add the flour and salt to a bowl with the butter or margarine.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Cut the chocolate into small chunks using a knife or scissors.
- Add the chocolate and sugar to the flour and mix. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Add the milk, egg and vanilla essence and mix until it forms a stiff dough.
- Using two forks make 12 heaps of the mixture on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.