Walkers crisps have recently launched their biggest ever flavour campaign, ‘Bring it Back’. They have brought back five retro flavours that were popular in days gone by. The public are being asked to decide which of the five flavours should stay on the shelves. If you vote you have the chance to win £100,000. The five flavours you can vote for are Barbecue, Toasted Cheese, Lamb & Mint, Beef & Onion and Cheese & Chive.
To celebrate the campaign Walkers asked me to recreate a retro recipe popular from days gone by. There were plenty of recipes that I could have chosen, Peach Melba, Black Forest Gateau, Cheese Fondue and many more. I have fond memories of eating many of these recipes when my parents threw dinner parties when I was a child. We would be fed before the guests came and sent to our bedrooms, but often sneaked down later to help ourselves to the leftovers. One of my favourite retro recipes of all time has to be a prawn cocktail. Whilst these days a prawn cocktail has become a bit of a cliché, when done well it is the ideal start to a meal. Crisp crunchy lettuce on the bottom, sweet prawns in a tangy sauce, it brings the taste buds to life and leaves them waiting for the main course. It is also one of my favourite starters ever.
When making a prawn cocktail the lettuce has to be crispy. Most people opt to use iceberg lettuce which is crisp but I find it can be a little watery. I chose to use little gem lettuce which not only is crispy but is full of flavour. Whilst it is fine to just have lettuce it adds a little more interest if you add something else into the salad. Avocado is the perfect choice to accompany prawns, often you find prawns in sauce added to the centre of a hollowed out avocado. I decided to dice up some avocado and slice some cucumber into ribbons and add this to the salad base. For a little zing I tossed the avocado and cucumber in some lemon juice.
With the salad base sorted I turned my attention to the topping. The topping must include prawns, but for variety I decided to use a mixture of normal sized prawns and king prawns. The small prawns are succulent and sweet whilst the king prawns are more meaty and add more texture to the cocktail. For a perfect prawn cocktail the sauce needs to be tasty, with a hint of tomato and a touch of zing. I usually make Marie Rose sauce by combining mayonnaise and tomato ketchup which works perfectly. With slightly different proportions it makes a lovely sauce for burgers as well. To add a little zing to the sauce I also added Worcestershire sauce, a touch of Tabasco and some lemon juice. The result was a zingy sauce that complemented the prawns perfectly and was cooled by the salad underneath.
The final decision for a perfect prawn cocktail is how to serve it. Normally a prawn cocktail is served in a cocktail dish, the prawns covering the lettuce underneath so you need to dig down to get a taste. Alternatively it can be served on a plate so you can get a spoonful of salad and prawns together. I am included to go for the cocktail dish as it looks a little prettier. It tastes equally good both ways.
As I mentioned above Walkers are bringing back 5 retro flavours Barbecue, Toasted Cheese, Lamb & Mint, Beef & Onion and Cheese & Chive. To be in with the chance of winning £100,000 you need to cast a vote for the flavour you want to stay at www.walkers.co.uk before 1st November 2015. You can also vote on Facebook or Twitter using the flavor hashtags:
To help celebrate the return of the retro flavours Walkers have given me a box of Walkers Bring It Back crisps to giveaway to one of my readers. If you would like a chance to win these crisps just comment below and let me know what retro recipe you would like to bring back if you had a chance. When you have done that come back and fill in the rafflecopter widget below so your entry is registered. This entry is mandatory. You can gain other entries by following on twitter, tweeting and visiting facebook but these are optional.
Why not pop over and enter my Healthy Eating Giveaway which ends on the 21st October as well.
• There is one prize of a box of Walkers bring it back crisps – the prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
• Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Dragons and Fairy Dust and Walkers Crisps
• Closing date for entries is on 11:59pm GMT on 16th November
• Only one entry per person
• Entrants must log into rafflecopter and leave a comment on the blog answering the question.
• Optional entry methods are to follow on twitter, visit facebook and tweet on twitter
• The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
• Automated entries will be disqualified.
• The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond with a postal address within 14 days or a new winner will be chosen.
• The winner’s name will be available on request.
• Walkers Crisps is responsible for prize fulfilment. The prize will be sent within 28 days of receiving the winner’s address.
• This is a joint promotion between Dragons and Fairy Dust and Walkers Crisps
• Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions