I decided to try making a Potato and Lentil Goulash. I quite liked the idea of combining lentils and potatoes, both filling healthy food, in a goulash to add more taste. I love tomato based dishes and goulash is the perfect winter warmer food so the combination seemed ideal.
This is the recipe I used:
Potato and Lentil Goulash
- 1 oz (25g) butter
- 1 large onion
- 8oz (225 g) tin of tomatoes
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsps Tomato Puree
- ½ (150ml) sour cream
- 4 oz (100g) lentils
- 2 oz (50g) cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the lentils then drain.
- Boil the potatoes for about ten minutes then drain and slice into thin circles.
- Preheat the oven to 190C 375 F Gas Mark 5
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree and warm though.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Grease an ovenproof dish and layer slices of the potatoes and lentils in the dish, starting and ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour the sauce over the potato layers and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cook for 40 minutes until cheese is brown and the potatoes are soft.
The potato and lentil goulash was very nice and is a lovely warming dish. It can be served up on its own with salad or as a side dish. I served it with chicken.
Disclosure: This is my entry into the Good Natured Winter Warmer Recipe Challenge.