Recently the sun has come out and it has started to feel a little bit like Summer. I have been experimenting a bit with different salad recipes and was delighted when I was sent some Fresh Gourmet Croutons and Toppings to try. Fresh Gourmet have produced this new range with the idea that they can be used on salads, in soups and on sandwiches to add a little bit of crunch and excitement to the dish.
There are four products in the range, Cheese and Garlic Croutons, Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper Croutons, Ciabatta Basil and Pesto Croutons and Crispy Onions. All the croutons are made from delicious bread and are baked rather than fried.
I had lots of ideas for using these toppings, I think the Cheese and Garlic Croutons would be gorgeous on top of a French Onion soup. The Crispy Onions would work really well with a burger. First I decided to try the Ciabatta Basil and Pesto Croutons with a Tomato Vinaigrette Salad
The croutons were lovely and crunchy with a hint of basil taste that worked really well with the tomatoes. They made a lovely addition and would also work brilliantly with tomato soup. Next I tried the Crispy Onions with a Carrot and Raisin Salad.
You can see the slithers of onion placed on top. These were delicious, very crunchy and full of onion flavour. They added a definite zing to the salad.
I loved these Fresh Gourmet Croutons and Toppings and will be getting some more. They add a definite touch of luxury to a meal. You can find them in Tesco, RRP £1.79 for the Cheese and Garlic Croutons, Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper Croutons and Crispy Onions. RRP £1.99 for the Ciabatta Basil Pesto Croutons. The products come in an 80g resealable bag to keep them fresh and that is plenty to use on several dishes.
Fresh Gourmet also sent me a Basil Pesto Chicken salad recipe to share which looks lovely. I will be giving this a go soon.
Basil Pesto Chicken Salad
Servings: 4 | Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 10 min
• 1/4 cup; olive oil
• 1/4 cup; white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons; Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon; garlic salt
• 1/4 teaspoon; fresh ground pepper
• 2 each (6-ounce); chicken breast
• Olive oil
• To taste; salt and pepper
• 1 (5-ounce) bag; ready-to-serve Italian blend, mixed greens
• 1/2 cup; grape tomatoes, halved
• 8 each; fresh mozzarella baby bocconcini
• 1 1/2 (80g) bags of Fresh Gourmet® Basil Pesto Ciabatta Croutons
1. In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk until well blended. Refrigerate covered, until ready to use.
2. Brush both sides of chicken breasts with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Grill until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Remove from grill and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/4-inch pieces.
3. Mix greens, tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken with prepared dressing until well coated.
4. Move to serving plate. Top salad with Fresh Gourmet® Basil Pesto Ciabatta Croutons.