I have been on a mission to clean out my cupboards and use up all the sachets and seasonings that are lurking inside them before I buy any more. The other day I needed to make a quick meal, we had all come in from work and school and were starving. I had a sachet of fajita seasoning in my cupboard that I hadn’t used. Normally I tend to buy fajita kits so I have the wraps as well as the seasoning but in this instance I had the seasoning but not the wraps. Luckily I did have some Jus Rol pastry in the freezer so I took inspiration from their advert. You know the one where the woman comes in from work, unrolls a sheet of pastry, chops up some chicken and pesto fries it up and bungs it on top on the pastry. She then produces a gorgeous tart from the oven which all the family tuck into. Luckily I had some chicken so I decided to try making a chicken fajita tart.
It was really simple to make, I chopped up an onion, some mushrooms and some red and yellow peppers and threw them into a frying pan with some diced chicken. When the chicken was nearly cooked I added the sachet of fajita seasoning. I then unrolled a sheet of Jus Rol placed it on a baking sheet, added the chicken to the top and placed it in a pre-heated oven for fifteen minutes.
The finished result was delicious and it hadn’t taken long to make at all. If I had made my own pastry it would have taken much longer. I know how to make shortcrust pastry, I still have memories of my domestic science teacher telling me half fat to flour as the ratio for shortcrust. Puff pastry is a bit of a mystery though and I have never made it. It is much easier just to unroll a sheet of Jus Rol and make a gorgeous creation. My family loved the dish as well and I will definitely be trying it again.
- One onion
- Four mushrooms
- A red pepper
- A yellow pepper
- Three chicken breasts
- A sachet of fajita seasoning
- A sheet of jus roll puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200 C
- Chop the onions, mushrooms and peppers and add to a frying pan with some oil.
- Dice the chicken and when the onions, mushrooms and peppers are soft add them to the pan.
- When the chicken is cooked stir in the fajita seasoning and mix well.
- Remove from the heat.
- Place a sheet of Jus Rol puff pastry onto a baking sheet. Add the chicken mixture to the top.
- Bake in the oven for fifteen minutes until the pastry is cooked
Disclosure: I was sent some Jus Rol pastry in order to do an honest review.