Chicken and bacon crispy pancakes are the ultimate in comfort food. Pancakes wrapping a creamy chicken and bacon filling which oozes out when sliced. A crispy breadcrumb topping adds crunch.
Crispy pancakes bring back childhood memories for me. My mum would make them for us coming home from school. We would eat them in front of the television whilst watching children’s programmes. These days children’s television is on all day but then we only got a hour of programming at teatime. The rest of the time we had to amuse ourselves. Computers, mobile phones and the internet were not available then. If you were lucky enough to have a computer you had to load the programmes using a cassette tape recorder. Watching television whilst eating our tea was a treat.
Chicken and bacon crispy pancakes
There is something comforting about crispy pancakes. The very act of piercing the crispy exterior is special. Creamy chicken and bacon oozes out and you know that you are in for a treat. With pancake day coming up I thought I would recreate this classic dish. Pancake day or Shrove Tuesday is the day before the first day of Lent. Pancakes use up all the butter, sugar and eggs in the house before the fasting begins. Normally we make sweet pancakes. Traditional English pancakes or Amercian pancakes make a great dessert. For a change I thought I would try savoury pancakes.
Chicken and bacon crispy pancakes are easy to make but require some planing ahead. The chicken and bacon filling needs to be made and left to cool. Pancakes need to be made to hold the filling. Finally the filling needs to be put inside the pancakes and breadcrumbs sprinkled on the top. The whole lot is put in the oven the left to cook. The great thing is that all the parts can be made ahead of time. Make the pancakes and filling the day before. The next day the you can put the crispy pancakes together and pop them in the oven. Preparation is the key to a quick and tasty dinner.
How to make chicken and bacon crispy pancakes
Chicken and bacon crispy pancakes recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 200g back bacon
- 1 onion
- 4 mushrooms
- 3 tbsp flour
- 400ml milk
- a little cooking oil
- For the pancakes
- 100g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- For the topping
- 1 egg
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Chop the chicken into pieces.
- Add some oil to a pan and cook the chicken until brown and cooked though.
- Put the chicken on a plate.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the pan.
- Cook until crispy.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed and cook the onion for a couple of minutes until soft
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until soft.
- Stir the flour into the pan then add the milk a little at a time.
- Keep stirring until you get a smooth sauce
- Add the chicken and bacon and a little salt and pepper to season and mix well
- Set to one side to cool
- To make the pancakes add the flour to a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and milk
- Whisk until smooth
- Heat some oil in a pan and add a spoonful of the batter.
- Swirl to make a thin flat pancake
- Flip over when the underside is cooked and cook the other side
- Set aside and make another. This should make four pancakes
- Beat an egg
- Add the filling to the middle of the pancake and brush the edges with beaten egg.
- Fold into a semicircle, the egg should hold the edges together
- Brush some egg on the top of the pancake and sprinkle with breadcrumbs
- Place on a baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 200C Gas Mark 6
- Put the pancakes in the oven for 20 minutes until crispy
Why not pin the recipe to try later?