Have you ever wondered what to serve the little monster in your life? The Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookbook provides everyday recipes for the living and the dead. Serve up tasty dishes the next time zombies drop round for tea.
Did you know there is a Monster Supplies shop tucked away on an East London Street? Hoxton Street Monster Supplies has been supplying quality goods for the monster community for hundreds of years. It was set up in 1818 by a refugee monster called Igor, an attempt to ingratiate himself with the local monster community. In reality, inside the doors there is unique and original sweet shop. The shelves are stocked with Fang Floss, Picked Eyeballs and other interesting oddities. A basket contains a purring invisible cat and you might think twice before purchasing anything.
Hoxton Street Monster Supplies is actually part of a project called Ministry of Stories which aims to promote imagination and storytelling among school age children. The store also runs workshops to encourage and mentor young writers. Created in 2010 with the support of Nick Hornby, author of Fever Pitch, the store is a great way to get children thinking up stories. All the profits from the store go to the Ministry of Stories, due it is said to a rather inconvenient curse.
Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookbook
The Hoxton Street Monster Supplies cookbook is a classic cookbook that has been in use by monsters for hundreds of years. It contains everyday recipes for the living, dead and undead. Recently the book has been adapted for use by humans as well as monsters. Now you can cook up treats for every occasion as well as finding hints for monster housekeeping. The 160 page hardback book is worth £13, contains over 70 recipes and is beautifully illustrated.
Inside the book you will find mix of recipes and general advice and wisdom. It starts with the introduction and some information about the shop. There a very handy guide on the golden rules for entertaining monsters. Did you know dragons and yetis should be seated at opposite ends of the table for temperature control? You should also be aware that zombies take things very slowly so allow plenty of time for the meal.
The recipes are broken into different sections:
- Sweets & Pastiles
- Biscuits & Cookies
- Cakes & Bakes
- Jams & Preserves
- Savoury snacks for entertaining monsters
- Potions & Poisons
Most of the recipes have strange names like gingerdead men and spiced earwax pie. If you can get past the revolting names and read the list of ingredients you will find the recipes are normal. The book is full of tasty and original recipes as well as come classics. They are definitely worth cooking up. There is a small introduction to each recipe which are quite funny and some have illustrations as well. Intermixed with the recipes are words of advice and wisdom. These can be labels for buffets or gifts or information on how to carve a human. It makes entertaining reading as well as being a good recipe book.
1000 Year Curse Cookies
I tried out the recipe for 1000 year curse cookies from the book. These can be used to curse your friends and provide 1000 years of misery per cookie. Luckily there is also a recipe to reverse the curse. Really these are just chocolate chip cookies and very tasty they are. They are also easy to make and children could easily help.
Making the biscuits is simple, it is just a case of creaming the butter and sugar the adding eggs, vanilla essence, flour baking powder and chocolate chips to make a dough. It is always a good idea to leave the butter out of the fridge for a while before making the cookies. This softens it and makes it easier to cream. After baking for fifteen minutes you will have delicious cookies that will not last long. Will you be cursed for eating them?
1000 Year Curse Cookies
- 25g 4oz butter
- 175g 6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 200g 7oz plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g plain dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 18oC (350 F) Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add the vanilla extract. Beat the egg and add it a little bit at a time mixing well after each addition
- Stir in the milk and then sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold it in and finally add the chocolate chips
- Place 16 spoonfuls of the mixture on the baking tray and press down with a fork
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Dragons and Fairy Dust http://www.dragonsandfairydust.co.uk/
Check out these videos which show more recipes from the book.
Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookbook Giveaway
I have some copies of the Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookbook to give away to three of my readers. It would make a great gift or a good addition to your cookbook shelf. It is really easy to enter. Just leave a comment below letting me know which type of monster you would like to entertain at a dinner party and why. When you have done that go back and fill in the rafflecopter widget so your entry is registered. There are other entries for subscribing by email, following on twitter, visiting facebook and tweeting about the giveaway but these are optional. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- There are three prizes of a box of a Hoxton Street Monster Supplies Cookery book – the prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
- Open to UK residents aged 18 and over, excluding employees and relatives of Dragons and Fairy Dust and Hoxton Monster Supplies
- Closing date for entries is on 11:59pm GMT on 24th Nov 2016
- Only one entry per person
- Entrants must log into rafflecopter and leave a comment on the blog answering the question.
- Optional entry methods are to follow on twitter, visit facebook, tweet on twitter and subscribe by email.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
- Automated entries will be disqualified.
- The winner will be informed within 14 days of the closing date and will need to respond with a postal address within 14 days or a new winner will be chosen.
- The winner’s name will be available on request.
- Hoxton Monster Supplies is responsible for prize fulfilment. The prize will be sent within 28 days of receiving the winner’s address.
- This is a joint promotion between Dragons and Fairy Dust and Hoxton Monster Supplies
- Entry to this confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions
I was sent a copy of the book in return for an honest review. My opinions are my own.