Last month was Mexican Independence Day and to celebrate it Discovery kindly sent me a hamper of Mexican ingredients and the challenge to create some food using it.
I love a good challenge and I also love Mexican food so I was more than happy to give this a try. I decided to start of with something easy and make Chilli Con Carne. I used this packet of Discovery Chilli Con Carne Seasoning Mix.
This is the recipe I used.
- 1 onion
- About 10 mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 packet Discovery Chilli Carne Seasoning Mix
- Add some oil to a pan and add the chopped onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook though
- Add the mince until browned
- Stir in the Discovery Chilli Con Carne mix. If that is not available then 1 tsp of chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp of cumin will work as well.
- When the mince is browned add the tin of tomatoes and baked beans and simmer until the mince is cooked though, about 20 minutes.
I served with rice and a dash of Discovery Green Jalapeno Relish.
The chilli was very tasty and not overpoweringly spicy. It had a pleasant kick to it without making your eyes water. You can use kidney beans instead of baked beans if you want to be a bit more authentic but then you should add a dash of tomato puree as well. Definitely a quick and easy dinner. I shall be trying something more adventurous soon.