Appliances Online have a Bake and Win blog competition running at the moment, they give you a list of ingredients and you need to get creative and make a lovely cake using those ingredients. I love a good challenge so this weekend my son and I got creative in the kitchen. We decided to make some cupcakes and think of a fun way to decorate them.
This is the recipe:
- 65g caster sugar
- 60g light soft brown sugar
- 125g self raising flour
- 25g chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs
- 125g butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tbsp milk to loosen
- The mixture will make enough for 12 cupcakes or a 9 inch cake tin so grease these ready.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Empty the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix well.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Bake for 15 mins (or 20-25 mins if using a cake tin) until golden brown.
- Leave to cool
Then comes the fun bit, decorating them. My son was adamant that he wanted snake cupcakes. Luckily I had some ready to roll icing in different colours which I could use. First we made some green circles for grass which we placed on top of the cupcakes. I didn’t have green icing but I mixed blue and yellow together. I had some flakes so we used these to make logs on some of the cupcakes. Next we made the snakes by rolling small balls of red and blue icing into snake shapes and cutting a mouth with a knife. My son decided they needed decorating so we used yellow icing to make diamonds on the red snakes and spots on the blue snakes. Finally we used black and white icing to make their slightly cross eyes. So here they are, snake cupcakes, what do you think?
We also made some without the chocolate logs (as my son ate some of the flake!)