Minced beef is one of those things that there are a lot of different recipes for. In our house my son and I love pasta and would eat spaghetti bolognese until it came out of our ears. Strangely my dog is a great spaghetti lover as well and does a fabulous impression of that scene in Lady and the Tramp where the two dogs both eat the same strand of spaghetti. It is funny to watch him, you can dangle a piece of spaghetti in front of his mouth and he sucks it down in double quick time. My husband is much more traditional and prefers mince and potatoes.
Mince is one of those things that is always handy to have in when you want to make a cheap and easy recipe. I was looking for a recipe that I could do with either spaghetti or potatoes and this one has proved a hit with the family. It is quick and easy to make which is always a bonus when you are tired after a long day. This is the recipe:
- One onion
- About six mushrooms
- Two carrots
- Minced beef
- A tin of tomato soup (condensed is best but normal soup will work as well)
- A tin of baked beans
- Add some cooking oil into a pan and heat up.
- Chop the onions, mushrooms and carrots into small pieces put in pan.
- When the onions, carrots and mushrooms are soft add the mince to the pan and brown.
- Add the tomato soup and the baked beans to the pan and stir
- Simmer gently on a low heat for about 20 minutes until the mince is cooked.
This is the final result
It is a lovely tomato flavoured mince that can be served with either potatoes or spaghetti and pleases all the household. I suspect it would work very well in a lasagne as well but have yet to try this. If you do give it a go let me know what you think.
Other posts you might be interested in: